Acadamy Vote
Myanmar Consolidated Media

HOUSE OF THE WEEK

House Of The Week - Mandalay

Refurbished twin-level apartment in Hlaing

TWO thousand and two hundred square feet split over two floors of freshly redecorated space for K90 million sounds like a pretty hot deal. more

Education feature story
60th Anniversary of Indonesia~Myanmar

Dr Tin Shwe Awards announced

By Nay Nwe Moe Aung
(Volume 26, No. 513)

WELL-KNOWN authors Mg Su Shin, Chit Oo Nyo, Dr Aung Gyi and Mg Yint Mar (Kyauk Kone) have won the Dr Tin Shwe Literary Award for 2008, which was announced at a ceremony at Traders Hotel on March 1.

Fourteen books were on the shortlist for the 2008 prize, which was then narrowed down to seven of which four were then chosen as winners by the judging panel.

Dr Tin Shwe was a committee member of the Myanmar Writers and Journalists Association and the founder of Tin Shwe publishing house. He died in December 2000. His widow, Daw Aye Thant said that the family wished to continue the literary award because it was her husband’s intention to help develop Myanmar literature.

“For the Myanmar literature world to flourish and so that we might foster excellent books, I will continue to hold the awards annually with the assistance of the Myanmar Writers and Journalists Association,” she said. The Minister for Information Brig-Gen Kyaw San presented the awards.

The award-winning books include Eain Dwin Tha Mar Daw (Interior Physician) by Mg Su Shin, Background of Literature Talk, Profile of U Aung Thin and other Journal Articles by Chit Oo Nyo, Tha Chin Lu, Pone Pyin Lu, Nyein Chan Lu (Person With Song, Person With Story, Person with Peace) by Dr Aung Gyi, and Mg Nge Nge Ka Kha Yae Oo Hnit Ratha Sar Dam Myar (You Were My First Star Flower When I Was Young & Other Fictional Essays) by Mg Yint Mar (Kyauk Kone).

The Dr Tin Shwe Literature Awards started in 2001 and have since been held annually. — Translated by Thiri Min Htun