The Myanmar Times
Thursday, 31 July 2014
The Myanmar Times
The Myanmar Times

Wedding breakfast leaves more than 200 in Nay Pyi Taw hospital

 

Health officials in Pyinmana have sprung into action after two-thirds of the inhabitants of a local village suffered symptoms of food poisoning.

The outbreak, which has so far affected 235 people, occurred after a wedding breakfast of mohinga on November 6 in the village of Kinpontan, said medical staff.

Residents began to complain of vomiting, dizziness and diarrhoea by mid-afternoon.

“We don’t know how many people have gone to hospital. We're sending them four to eight at a time,” said Daw Mar Lar Aung, an official with the Nay Pyi Taw branch of the Myanmar Red Cross Society (MRCS).

Pending lab test results, the cause seemed to be food poisoning, she said, adding: “We've given preventive medicine to the entire village.”

In Kinpontan, more than 530 people have been given the medication, said an official from the township health department.

“Residents of more than 200 houses out of up to 300 are showing symptoms, sometimes two or three from the same house,” said Daw San Myint, 66.

“My daughter recovered from bouts of diarrhoea, but she is still suffering from dizziness,” said U Kyaw Soe, a village resident.

Meanwhile, eight wedding guests suffered food poisoning in Sinthay village and five were sent to the 1000-bed Nay Pyi Taw hospital, said U Kyaw San Win, a disaster manager at MRCS.

Members of Nay Pyi Taw Council, the head of Pyinmana hospital, MRCS members and officials from the general administrative department have helped manage the outbreak by distributing medicines to prevent cholera and treating wells, ponds, drains and refuse piles with chlorine to prevent the spread of disease, said U Kyaw San Win.

Translated by Zar Zar Soe